Goods are not automatically insured when in storage.
For added peace of mind, Global Self Storage Alexandria recommends all of our clients purchase storage insurance for their possessions. We maintain that if it’s worth storing, it’s worth insuring! This is especially true considering the low cost of insurance in relation to the value of your stored items.
NOTICE TO STORERS – INSURANCE
1. You, the Storer, are responsible for organising adequate insurance to cover your stored goods.
2. We recommend you organise insurance by purchasing it from a third-party provider.
3. It is your responsibility to ensure that any policy you purchase adequately covers your stored goods.
4. While it is possible to store goods without insurance, failure to have an adequate insurance policy will increase your potential liability and restrict the goods you can store.
CONSEQUENCES OF NO INSURANCE
5. If you, the Storer, do not have insurance that covers your stored goods, you will be liable, to the extent permitted by law, for any loss to any person arising from the storage of your goods.
6. For example, if you do not have insurance that covers your stored goods, you may be liable if:
(a) the stored goods are lost and / or damaged; and
(b) the stored goods cause any loss and / or damage to the facility or the property of others.
7. Further, if you do not have insurance, the types of goods that you can store are limited. For example, under clause 14 of the Storage Agreement:
(a) the total value of your stored goods cannot exceed $2,000; and
(b) you are not permitted to store goods that are irreplaceable, such as currency, jewellery, furs, deeds, paintings, curios, works of art and items of personal or sentimental value.