Our Top 3 Tips for Storage Do’s and Storage Don’ts
As experts in Sydney self storage we’ve seen it all. Read our top tips on the ‘do’s and don’ts’ of storage to help make your next move as stress free as possible.
Top 3 Storage Do’s:
1. Plan – Like most things, preparation is key!
- Work out how space you need. Make an inventory of items and use our handy storage calculator to work out how many cubic metres (m3) you will need.
- Get a storage quote. Once you know how many cubic metres you need it’s time to get some quotes. Work out whether you need short or long-term storage, what times you will need access and how close the facility needs to be to suit your needs. You can request a quote here and remember that we will beat any competitor quote for surrounding suburbs (conditions apply).
- Plan your packing schedule. Plan which rooms to tackle first and what timeline you need to work to. Plan which items can be packed away first such as books and clothing and those that you will need until the last minute.
2. Store items in quality storage boxes and packing materials.
It pays to use quality storage materials to store your precious items to protect them from the elements and allow them to be transported and carried safely. We supply a complete catalogue of storage boxes, storage bags, port-a-robes, mattress covers, bubble wrap, packing paper, packing tape and more in our Box Shop located in our storage facility in Alexandria.
3. Label Your Packing Boxes.
There’s nothing worse than staring into a sea of boxes and wondering where you packed something. This is why it is so important to label and number all boxes as you are packing. Keep a master summary document of all box numbers including a brief summary of items stored in each box. It’s also handy to write ‘leave at the front’ on the label of any items that need to be positioned at the front of the storage unit for easy access as so these items aren’t lost at the back during delivery and packing.
Top 3 Storage Don’ts:
1. Storage Transport – Don’t try and pack your home into a hatch back!
Take advantage of our free services designed to make your move stress free.
- Free Move in Vans (MIV’s). Save the wear and tear to your own car and get the move done in less trips by using our free move in van. Don’t worry, these vans are easy to drive and air conditioned so you can move in comfort.
- Free Move In Trailer. For taller items such as fridges and wardrobes, use our free move in trailer.
- Free Forklift service. Once on-site if you need help to move larger, heavier items we offer a free forklift service. Don’t worry, we provide the driver!
2. Don’t Forget to Insure.
If it’s worth storing, it’s worth insuring! For added peace of mind, Global Self Storage Alexandria recommends all of our clients purchase storage insurance for their possessions. This is especially true considering the low cost of insurance in relation to the value of your stored items. Find out more about our storage insurance options here.
3. Don’t Store Dangerous or Perishable Goods.
Do not store anything combustible such as paint, petrol or solvents. When storing items such as lawn mowers and whipper snippers ensure they are emptied of fuel and clean. Any gas cylinders stored must be empty. Do not store items than can perish such as plants or food that spoils.
Whether you need short-term storage in between moving or need long-term storage, you can request a cheap Sydney storage quote from Global Self Storage Alexandria. If you have any questions or need any other tips to make your move or storage experience easier please get in touch!